Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Essential Programs 1: Web Browser

Web Browser: Firefox
My main browser, I doubt I have to justify its inclusion to you, so I won't. I will admit Opera is tons faster. But firefox's customability (its options, themes, and extensions) wins me over. For themes, I switch between the default, opera, and iFox themes. As for extensions (plug-ins)... They are the reason I love firefox, so I'm going to list out all the ones that I use.

() Linkification
This plugin changes plain-text urls to hyperlinks in html (stuff you can click on). For example, certain forums do no allow hyperlinks, so instead people type them out. To visit their links, you probably have to copy and paste into the address bar and press enter. Linkifcation will style the link text and let you click on it directly. This extension is very similar to Text Link (which allows you to go to the textual link by double clicking on it.) Supposedly, Linkification is slower to use because it needs to parse the entire page first. I decided to go with the better usability, but I'd use Text Link if i was worried about performance.

() NextPlease!
This extension allows you to easily go to the "next" and "previous" pages. For example, instead of clicking the "Next" link on a google search, I press Shift+Ctrl+Right. This becomes very useful for me when browsing forums. It works by looking for links with certain keywords (reg-exp) or specific images, and you can customize it as you need. I think it's my favorite plug-in.

() Tab Mix Plus
Gives you a lot of control over your tabs; you really have to install this and play around with it to understand its usefulness. A few of the nice features of this is session saving, tab progress bars, specifying tab widths, and allowing multiple rows of tabs. This offers so much, so I won't even try to explain it all, you just need to try it out. If you want to see my preferences, here they are: My Preferences.

() Download Status Bar
Shows your downloads in a new bar above the status bar instead of opening that annoying popup download manager. I hate the download manager and this interface is very, very nice (and customizable.)

() AdBlock
() Adblock Filter Set G
Probably the best ad-blockr available. I think Firefox has a lot of these features built it, but it really makes customization and setting up new things to block very simple. I tend to leave text and most image as, but I block all pop-up and flashing ads. The filter just allows Adblock to update its list of bad ads every four days or so.

() Gmail Manager
This extension notifies you of new gmail for multiple accounts. You set it up to check for new mail at set intervals. It'll bring you to your account in a single click. It's very handy, at least, if you use gmail with multiple accounts and are forgetful in checking it (that's definitely me...)

() Organize Status Bar
This extension allows you to organize your status bar. It's useful because a lot of these extensions will place (usually useful) icons in the status bar. Sometimes, you really don't want them. Other times, you want them in a different order. This extension can fulfil both wishes.

() Menu Editor
This extension allows you to edit firefox menus. This includes all the top menus (like File and Edit) as well as the menu when you right click anything. Similar to organize status bar, this is mostly useful to remove the clutter from the other extensions. However, I did end up clearing up a lot of menu items under the Tools menu as well.

() Session Saver
This extension lets you save your sessions. It automatically goes about its business in the background, so even if Firefox crashes or you accidentally close it, you can have it go back to what it was. It even saves the text and such that you had entered. Tab Mix Plus does this, but I find this plug-in does a better job.

No comments: