Monday, October 23, 2006

Essential Programs 1: Occasionally Essential

I use these, but not all that much, so I wouldn't really say I *need* them. They are incredibly useful the times I do need them, which might happen a few times a month, if that.

() Virtual CD: D-Tools
Every once in a while, I find this useful. It allows you to load a cue/iso file as a real CD. I prefer it to Alcohol 120%. Also, It's free.

() Office: Microsoft Office
Sometimes Microsoft Word and Excel are necessary, so... I very rarely use this stuff anymore though, mostly just when people send me stuff or expect me to send them stuff that is in these formats. I prefer html tables to organize my lists and text documents nowadays for my
work. At work, I do use Excel frequently though. Too bad the suite isn't free.

() CD/DVD Burning: Ahead Nero
Yeah, this is common and it's not free (though you get it with most of your Burners nowadays). I rarely burn stuff anymore (external hard drives and usb drives have replaced most of my needs for cd/dvd), but when I do need to create a cd/dvd, this is what I use. Perhaps it's not the best tool. I really don't care.

() Visual Studio
For C# and windows application development.

() More Firefox Plugins

() IETab
(Text stolen from joelonsoftware) IETab takes advantage of the fact that Internet Explorer is available as an ActiveX control, which is available to be embedded in any Windows application, to open certain websites in Firefox using Internet Explorer. Whenever a website comes up complaining that you need to get "Netscape 4.0 or some
other modern browser" you can just right click on the tab and it'll pop up right in Firefox being rendered by Internet Explorer. You can set up a list of websites that always come up in IE tabs.

() Web Developer Extension
This helps web developing an incredible amount. I can't imagine not using this toolbar and trying to design a site. It lets you disable anything, resize the window, mark boundaries, validate code, and tons more.

No comments: