Monday, October 09, 2006

Essential Programs 1: Essentials A

() Text Editor: TextPad 4
This program isn't free (though there is a never-expiring evaluation version) and isn't really all that great (compared to vi and emacs, anyways). However, I've been using it for my windows development for a while and I really got it customized to my likings, so I stick with it. I hope to migrate over to emacs soon, but the learning curve for a good Text Editor is just so steep and I'll have to translate all my plugin code. So for now, I've got this.

() Video Codecs: K-Lite Codec Mega Pack
This is all that you need in order to play video on your windows machine. Whenever you find a new video format you can't play, all that means is that you haven't gotten the latest codec pack. It comes with the "Windows Media Classic" and "BSPlayer" players. Personally, I use "Windows Media Player Classic." Make sure you get the "Mega Pack" version, otherwise you don't get Real Media and Quicktime alternatives.

() BitTorrent Client: Azureus
For me, this had the best download speeds of the three I tried (uTorrent, BitComet, Azureus). This could have merely been coincidence, so I'll be redoing my tests soon and my client may change as a result. However, I really like the plugin architecture and there are a few plugins that I really love. Plus, I've got lots of memory and I grew up on Java. The plugins I really like are:
(1) Auto Speed
(2) Auto Scheduler
(3) SafePeer

() Super Smart Windows Input/Output Program: Windows Miko
The mouse slows you down. While it's great for intuitive design, it's horrible to use for things you do a lot. I know it hurts my wrist, slows me down, and annoys me in general. And so I really suggest writing what I call a "Super Smart Windows Input/Output Program." It's basically a command prompt (I really miss using *nix at work), except more catered to your needs. "Windows Miko" is my implementation, written in Ruby. The main idea is that you type something, and Miko does something as a response (opens a web page, makes a note, gives you information, does a calculation, launches a program...). It uses regular expressions and is very extensible. She has a plug-in personality and appearance also.

() Hot Launcher: PS Hot Launch
This application allows you to run programs from key presses. There are some keys and combinations it doesn't allow you to use, but letters, numbers, alt, shift, and win are all available in any combination. It's wise not to use too many keyboard shortcuts though because they aren't intuitive at all. I think a Hot Launcher is best used with scripts. For example, my key press "Ctrl+Down" replaces "Alt-F4" via an AutoIt3 script. Also, I use "Win-V" to go to Windows Miko, and from there I can quickly get to run any progam by some nickname. This is faster than using a mouse to double click an icon somewhere and doesn't require worrying about key conflicts or contrived combinations.

() Sequential Art Viewer: CDisplay
The best, by far, image viewer to read my manga with on a windows machine. At some point, I considered writing my own software, but there isn't anything that I would do differently than this program. If you read scanned comics in Windows, this is probably your best bet, you just have to try it for yourself to really understand. Its best features are allowing you to view two pages at a time and its smart "next" feature. I also modified my right click menu to open folders with CDisplay.

() File Archiver/Zip Utility: 7-zip
Unzipper, basically on par with WinRar in its unzipping. The major difference between the two for my purposes is that it is completely free. I actually do like using WinRar better, but I'm not willing to pay for it yet and so refuse to use it. You may have a difference of opinion.

() IM Client: Trillian
This is the instant messenger client I use. It allows you to chat with people using AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and ICQ protocols. I have friends that use these different clients, so it's useful to have one program I can use to chat with all of them. I'm aware of the IM client Miranda, which can be made to look very cool. Since I like how Trillian looks on my desktop and it seems to have no other benefits, I've stuck with Trillian.

() Image Editing: Photoshop 7.0
Definitely not free, but I think it's worth it. Plus, I've been using it for years, so I am pretty familiar with it. For web sites, I think it's pretty important to have a real good image editor.

No comments: