Sunday, October 05, 2008

Virii and XP Royale

Yeesh, it's been a long time since I posted here. Like just about everyone, I'm pretty busy... but the "busy-ness" gives me some good things to write about. So I'll be posting a lot more regularly for a while.

The most recent "busy-ness" was a full reinstallation of one of my desktop computers. It wasn't something that I really planned to do... I ended up catching a virus while testing google adsense (some ringtone ad) with an Internet Explorer 5 browser. I wasn't being that careful on that machine, since I didn't really didn't expect to catch anything through adsense links. It was a serious virus too. Like most of them, it put a bunch of adware on the machine (which would pop up sporadically), but it also tried to add some fetching programs and some dll files. Nasty, nasty... anyways, I didn't entirely trust that the anitvirus on the machine was able to catch everything, so I decided to wipe the whole harddrive (I used Active@KillDisk) and reinstall. I put on Windows XP Professional SP3 instead of Vista and went through the process of configuring the machine to my needs. It kinda needed to be done anyway, the machine was getting cluttered and I didn't lose any data since it's not a machine I really use for anything important.

One nice thing I found while reinstalling was the Windows XP Royale Noir theme. I like its look better than Windows Vista. It's a really sleek, black XP theme that I read the developers never fully released. Someone got a hold of it and finished it up, then made it available. I liked it so much I switched my main desktop computer to the theme... even though I'm pretty sure it makes the machine run slower.

Download and check out the theme here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Themes/Royale-Noir-Theme.shtml

To use the theme, you will need patch your uxtheme dll by running this program: http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/UXTheme-MultiPatcher.shtml

No comments: