Saturday, November 04, 2006

Jin Yong's Wuxia

Quick Summary of Links:
Romance of the Book and Sword (Buy the translation)
Sword of the Yueh Maiden
Return of the Condor Heroes (Divine Eagle, Gallant Hero)
Wuxia English Forum
Wuxia Fan Translations

Actual Entry:
I've been reading Jin Yong's (aka Louis Cha) Wuxia novels recently. Jin Yong is known as one of the best Wuxia writers. He created 15 Wuxia stories that are famous throughout a lot of the world. I've read three of the stories (soon to be four), but that's only because it's all the translated-into-english text I can find. If I could read Chinese, I could just read it all from here (but it's all simplified.)

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. Wuxia is a genre that comes out of China and literally means "martial arts heroes." They take place in China's past, usually among real events, but everyone's abilities are hyper exaggerated. It's a blend of philosophy, conflicting honor codes, and fantasy martial arts. The best I can compare it to in western culture would be modern takes on Arthurian or Robin Hood stories. I guess Westerns are kind of similar also. If you've seen "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", that's an example of a wuxia story. Except Jin Yong's stories are much better than these examples, and a lot more stuff happens involving much cooler characters.

If you like shonen japanese stories, there is no doubt you'll love the stories Jin Yong has written. In fact, you'll very likely like the novels more than those comics. I'm pretty sure almost all the really good anime fighting ideas (with the chi or martial arts moves) were stolen from China. The fighting used is really interesting and very well imagined. The novels have lots of romance elements, political plots, and technique-laden action. The characters are all really cool and interesting.

So far, I've read the Book and the Sword, Return of Condor Heroes, and Sword of the Yueh Maiden. I've ordered Deer and the Cauldron... but it's pretty pricey at $35 for each of the three books that make the story up. Each book I've read has been very good. Read Sword of the Yueh Maiden if you're doubtful. It's the only short story of Jin Yong's novels and it's a great taste of what the genre is like. For a full listing of his stories, please consult his wikipedia entry, from which you can also get summaries. Beware of spoiling yourself though. I'm going to go over the works that are completely available in English. There are a lot of translations of his, but most of them are in progress works.

Sword of the Yueh Maiden is a short story about two nations at war with each other. You can read it in English here. The weaker nation isn't weaker by much: its only problem is that the swordsmen of the other nation are far stronger. The story is about one of the court advisors looking for a way to overcome this weakness.

The Book and the Sword can be read here and bought here. It's about the actions of a very heroic secret society. It starts with several rescue plots until the "big secret" is uncovered. It has a large cast of characters, such as Chen who fights using go stones and a whip to hit accupoints. There's also the lightning fast one-armed brother and the Mastermind strategist brother. These characters are naturally all ranked in their organization. There are great and powerful female characters as well. It's all great fun.

Return of Condor Heroes follows the growth of a boy named Yang Guo and his relationship with his teacher Xiaolongnu. Yang Guo is the brilliant son of a defeated villian and no one wants him to grow up like his father. However, all his masters treat him poorly so he runs away to a cave where he becomes the student of Xiaolongnu. Lots and lots of stuff happen from there and Yang Guo grows stronger and stronger even despite bad things happening all the time. It's been fan translated and that translation can be found here.

The Deer and the Cauldron was translated into English and released as three installments. Book one can be purchased here, book two can be purchased here, and book three can be purchased here. I haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be funny. I will update this when I get to read it.

The Fox Volant of the Snowy Mountain was also translated into english and can be purchased here. However, I've heard that the translation was really bad.

Unfortunately for me, these books have been adapted into TV series, which I've been spending a lot of energy recently obtaining and then a lot of time watching. These series all last about 40 episodes and it's still not really enough time to show all the events from the novels. Furthermore, these things are pretty much corny and horrible as far as I've seen. They try to rely on cg effects that would be embarrassing in a old playstation game and really has no business in a live action film. I also don't like all the unnatural sounding voice dubs. Despite all my problems with them, I keep watching and am slowly beginning to enjoy it. The stories are good and every once in a while, things are done right (read: not ridiculously poorly.) The only one I've seen like that so far is Tian Long Ba Bu 2002. Return of Condor Heroes 2006 was ridiculous, but the actors looked too cool to complain too much. Okay, mostly Liu Yifei.

Tian Long Ba Bu follows three fairly different heroes whose paths constantly intertwine. There are a lot of characters here and a lot of twists. It's a fun series to watch and no segment really drags for very long. Some story arcs are especially gripping. The best thing is that there are so many characters that are very likable and all the different storylines are equally interesting. The thing that makes this a good tv series is the (relatively) low use of CG, the good casting, and the actually fun to watch fight scenes. I hope I can find another adaptation like this.

I want to mention that, so far, Jin Yong's stories are the only wuxia I've read that I'd really recommend at this point. I've gone through The Sword and the Exquisiteness and Sentimental Swordsman, Ruthless Sword by another very famous wuxia author, Gu Long. While I did read through them both, I didn't like them very much. I couldn't relate to his characters and I felt that they were very one dimensional - a few very good, many very bad, or some inconsequential. I do not feel that he built a very compelling or deep world for his stories to take place. I read his wiki entry, and I think that the differences I saw between Gu Long and Jin Yong are reflected in the ways that they led their lives.

And that's all I've got to say. I just wanted you to give this genre a try if you haven't already, y'know, bring it to your attention. I had no idea about the quality of this stuff until I happened by it after reading the wiki entry on the movie Kung Fu hustle. I mean, you want to open your horizons and see what popular Chinese fiction is like, right? I tried to explain it, but there was no way I could do the stories justice. So please just follow any of the links I gave earlier and give it a try. If you'd like more information, read Jin Yong's wikipedia entry, the fan translation base, and this forum. I'll update this entry as I get more information and as more translations are completed.

Oh, and one last thing slightly related thing. I recently found a freely available translation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. If that interests you, take a look over here.

No comments: