Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Of Wiki

My wiki software of choice is currently dokuwiki. It is true that I haven't put much research into it, but I mean, once you find one good solution, do you really want to look for others? Well, I guess if it's really important... but wiki's (especially the internal project wikis we need) generally aren't. Dokuwiki is very feature-rich. It's based around PHP. My favorite template for it is battlehorse. There really anything else I need to say about it, I just wanted to mention it since I've had good success with it. I'm currently using it for our project's homepage at work and I've had no problems doing everything I want with it. It took me maybe a half hour to set up completely to my liking and I haven't had to mess with its internals since. So Dokuwiki is a big yay.

I was using JSP Wiki at first, which is also pretty nice. It was also convenient since Apache Tomcat was already all set up on our server. However, there aren't that many good looking templates for it and I didn't have the time to make my own. But JSP Wiki is a yay if you don't mind the lack of template options and want a jsp solution. But be warned, the default template isn't really pretty at all, at best I'd call it functional.

If neither of those are your cup of tea or you really want to do some serious comparisons, this is a website that compares wikis. And if you really like wikipedia, here's a guide to set up MediaWiki. And that concludes my short advice on wikis.

No comments: